Since moving to the Sydney International Equestrian Centre (SIEC) in 1999, the Sydney International Horse Trials has been a lucky fixture for the ladies – with women taking out the honours at Sydney 10 out of the 16 years.
The ladies who have been successful in the SIEC era include:
- Christine Bates on Masterprint in 1999
- Amanda Ross on Ottoshumacker in 2000
- Megan Jones on Kirby Park Hallmark in 2001
- Sammi McLeod on Frederick Hunter in 2002
- Kadi Eyecamp on Seal in 2003
- Wendy Schaffer on Koyuna Sun Magic in 2005
- Sharmayne Spencer on Megastar in 2006
- Wendy Schaeffer on Koyuna Sun Storm in 2009
- Christine Bates on Adelaide Hill in 2001
- Elizabeth Lowery on KL Kismet in 2015
Recently, we caught up with Olympian, dual gold medallist and Equestrian Australia board member, Gillian Rolton.
Gillian won at the Sydney International Horse Trials on Peppermint Grove in 1995.
In this VIDEO, Gillian shares her memories of riding the Wayne Roycroft designed course at Lochinvar.
Gillian was also kind enough to offer young eventers with Olympic aspirations some canny ADVICE in this video.
Here’s hoping it’s going to be one for the ladies at the Sydney International Horse Trials in 2016 on the #RoadtoRio.